Here’s What You Should Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolates

Here’s What You Should Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolates

SHARE
Flickr

Advertisement

Advertisement

Easter is right around the corner, and so many egg-shaped chocolates and treats are expected to be surrounding the entire home for the kids to devour. This poses a problem for our dear pooches. They’d want a taste of some of those goodies too.

Unfortunately, chocolate is toxic to dogs.

The toxicity of chocolate to dogs depend on the kind and amount consumed. If your pooch ate a small amount of milk or white chocolate, you wouldn’t need to worry about it. But it’s still best to avoid any form of chocolate at all times.

According to experts, here are some types of chocolate listed in order of most toxic to the least toxic:

Advertisement Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Pure (unsweetened) cocoa powder (most toxic)
  • Baker’s chocolate
  • Semisweet chocolate
  • Dark chocolate
  • Milk chocolate
  • White chocolate (not so toxic)

It is the theobromine and caffeine component in chocolate that makes it dangerous for your pet because it makes their heart rate go haywire and it messes with their nervous system.

What are the signs that your dog has chocolate poisoning?

Signs that your dogs might usually be poisoned happen 6-12 hours after they’ve consumed the chocolate and it may last up to 72 hours. If you see the symptoms below, you must take immediate action.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Collapse and death

It is important to note that older dogs and those with heart conditions are more prone to sudden death from chocolate poisoning according to the American Kennel Club.

If you think that your dog ate a few of those Easter Eggs chocolates, call your veterinarian at once and call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-213-6680 to know what to do.

Continue to the next page…


Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!